Lokalise is a localization and translation management platform for certain types of localization projects, such as mobile apps, games or websites. By integrating Lokalise with Smartcat you gain extra flexibility in terms of vendor management, easy billing, and project management automation. This section describes how to connect your Lokalise account to Smartcat and continue with your projects right away.
Before configuring the integration, generate a new Lokalise API token that the Smartcat integration will use to access Lokalise platform. To create an API token, proceed as follows:
- Log in to your Lokalise account.
- Click on your avatar in the bottom-left corner and then navigate to Personal profile > API tokens. This is the page where you can see all created tokens and create new ones.
- Click Generate new token to display the popup where you can select the token type. Since the Smartcat integration requires read and write access to your projects, select the option highlighted in the screenshot below:
- Click Generate. A newly generated token is added to the list.
- Copy the token string and save it for further use. Note that the Lokalise API tokens do not have expiration dates.
2. Configuring the integration
To configure the Lokalise integration, log in to Smartcat and complete the following steps.
- Create a new Smartcat project and select Set up an integration when prompted How would you like to proceed?
- Scroll down the Integrate & streamline page and click Connect in the Lokalise tile.
- Paste the API token that you generated and saved as described in the Pre-requisites section to the Lokalise secret key field:
- Click Create integration. Smartcat will gather information about the projects in your Lokalise account and prompt you to select the required one:
- Make your selection and click Create integration.
3. Using the integration
If the integration is created successfully, the content of the project that you indicated in the settings is synchronized with the current Smartcat project and you start working on it immediately.
- In the Translate Documents dialog displayed after Smartcat has retrieved the content of the selected Lokalise project, the Source language will be populated automatically. The list of the target languages will match the target languages in the corresponding project, but you need to explicitly select them before continuing.
- Choose the tile that best describes the required workflow and click Translate.
- If Smartcat finds pre-existing translations, you can review them by clicking the Download button in the respective row.
- To import a translation, check the respective checkbox and click Import.
- To pull the source content only, uncheck all checkboxes and click Import.
- When all the required content is successfully imported, a summary is displayed, showing you the name of the integrated project and the statistics on file import.
- Open the Files tab to view the details of the imported documents.
- You can proceed translating the documents on your own or click Assign and invite an individual supplier or an agency to handle the translation.
- After a document translation is completed, return to the Integrations tab, open the Settings, enable the option Push translations back and click Sync Now.
- The translated segments are pushed to Lokalise and appear in the editor.
If new source segments were added to the integrated space since the previous sync, the Smartcat documents will be updated accordingly.
By default, a sync disregards incomplete translations. You can, however, instruct the integration to include them in every sync by enabling the option Publish incomplete documents.
Instead of explicitly performing sync by clicking Sync Now, you can schedule a sync at the required intervals. To do this, click on Do not repeat and select the appropriate option from the drop-down menu.
Did this article help you find the answer you were looking for? If not or if you have further questions, please contact our support team.