Stop copy-pasting text snippets from desktop apps into Google Translate and then back again when you need to translate something or trying to communicate with people in other languages! Smartcat Translator for Desktop blends into your everyday workflows, allowing you to quickly translate any text in the desktop app and have the result inserted back, not only saving you time but also improving the quality of the translation.
Smartcat Translator for Desktop is the easiest way to communicate or create content in multiple languages on the go. Create a Smartcat account and proceed as described below.
Installing Smartcat Translator
To install Smartcat Translator for Desktop on a Windows machine, complete the following procedure:
- Navigate to https://www.smartcat.com/integrations/windows/ and click Get an early access to download an executable file.
- Double-click on the downloaded executable file and follow the installer instructions:
Setting up Smartcat Translator
To set up Smartcat Translator, follow the UI instructions.
Using the application
When you are inside the source text editor, use Ctrl + Enter to translate the text box contents.
In addition to translating texts directly in this window, you can translate them in any application without losing the keyboard focus, by executing the following sequence of keystrokes:
- Ctrl + C (copies selection into clipboard)
- Ctrl + \ (translates the clipboard contents and copies the translation to the clipboard)
- Ctrl + V (pastes the translation)
See the Switching modes section below to learn how to simplify this down to a single keystroke.
Note that keeping your Translator window open is not necessary. You can close it and continue using the shortcuts above to perform the translation.
There are also a few handy global shortcuts:
- Ctrl + Alt + \ (switches the translation's direction)
- Ctrl + Shift + \ (changes mode, see below for more details)
- Ctrl + Alt + Win + \ (shows or hides the main Translator window)
By default, Smartcat Translator works in Translate mode. In this mode, Smartcat Translator reads the contents of the clipboard, translates them, and copies the translation to the clipboard. This mode, therefore, requires that you manually copy the selection into the clipboard before doing the translation, and then manually paste the translation back. You may want to automate the copying, or pasting, or both. To do it, change mode to one of the following:
- Copy + Translate mode simulates pressing Ctrl + C before performing the translation.
- Copy + Translate + Paste mode additionally simulates pressing Ctrl + V after performing the translation.
Updating the application
Smartcat Translator will automatically check for updates on startup. If there is a new version, a notification will be shown and the application will be updated on restart.